Do you understand where Social Media Marketing can add value to your business? Social Media Agencies are great at pitching the nirvana of their social media strategies; but do you know how much of it is real? How it applies to your company? We examine 4 common claims by social media agencies and the truth behind them.
1. Social Media Marketing Costs Less
Social Media Marketing costs less than traditional marketing.
True. Unlike Traditional, you don’t have to pay to be on the platform – social media sites are free of charge. Social media is the second lowest cost channel after blogs for Inbound Marketing.
- Updating regularly is critical to success and this costs money, marketers spend 6-11 hours a week on average.
- Discounts & giveaways are the most effective ways to attract followers, this costs money.
- Without tracking tools, measuring ROI is very difficult.
2. Drives Customer Loyalty
Social Media Marketing can drive customer loyalty through better customer communication.
True. Nearly 60 percent of customers say company contact via social media would improve their loyalty. Also, most customers feel that companies should be monitoring social media for feedback.
- Your customers may not be intuitively social, or they may not feel comfortable interacting with you publicly.
- Security and privacy risks from employees, especially when social media policies are not well defined.
- You need ongoing quality content. This one of the top 3 reason people follow brands on social media.
- You need a critical mass of visitors to keep customers interested. 31% of marketers cite this as a challenge.
3. Increases Traffic
Social Media Marketing improves SEO which drives website traffic.
True. Search engines are inserting social signals into their search algorithms and social sites are becoming search engines themselves. Things like mentions, shares, likes, and re-tweets are used by search engines as a form of “social proof,” much like links.
- Requires an expert, as the technology and process to optimize isn’t easy to understand
- Hard to measure the impact on SEO objectively
- Requires regular updates, which 40% of companies struggle with
4. Improves Brand Awareness
Social Media Marketing can improve you brand awareness.
True. Social Media Marketing improves your reach by allowing your brand ambassadors the opportunity to share your brand messages on their social media platforms. 92% of individuals trust the messages/recommendations they receive from friends.
- Your business may not make sense to be in the public domain
- Easy to be perceived as spam if you don’t produce content of interest to your audience
- Requires tools to monitor prospect responses, otherwise it’s a one-way conversation
Hopefully, you now understand the benefits of social networking marketing and the pitfalls which may prevent you from realising the full potential of adopting a social media marketing strategy.
Most importantly, you can now figure out which benefits your company can actually realize by considering your particular situation.